Most people consider their pets to be part of the family. So when it comes time to go on a road trip, there’s no doubt the family pet is coming with. Leaving that precious face behind would be too unbearable.
If you do plan on travelling with pets this summer, here are some tips for the road:
– Prepare your pet for car travel. Get him or her used to the car with small car rides before the big trip.
– Pack a little travel kit for your pet with his or her health records (if you’re going out of state), a portable water bowl, a pooper scooper, waste bags, treats, a leash, and his or her favorite toy.
– Keep your pet well entertained (with that toy from the travel kit).
– Make sure to make frequent food/water/bathroom breaks. This is also a good time to let your pet stretch his or her legs and get some energy out.
– Keep your pet restrained in a carrier or with a harness that attaches to the seatbelt.
– Make sure your information on his or her collar is up to date.
A couple of No-No’s:
– The front seat and the back of pick-up trucks are not safe places for any pet.
– Don’t let your pet stick its head out the window.
– Never leave your pet alone in a parked vehicle! It is very easy for them to overheat.
Now enjoy your vacation!