Cats Protection, the United Kingdom’s leading cat welfare organization, has drafted a Manifesto for Cats, calling on the government to implement measures to prevent feline abandonment, harm and neglect.
The Manifesto, available in pdf format for download HERE, outlines 10 key cat welfare areas of concern that Cats Protection is urging the government to address:
- Regulating the breeding and sale of cats to reduce the number of unwanted kittens.
- Mandatory microchipping of cats.
- Regulation of airguns to prevent injury to cats.
- Prosecution of dog owners whose dogs kill or injure cats.
- Animal welfare education added to school curriculums.
- Allow cat owners in rental housing to keep their pets.
- Recognition of the positive benefits of ownership of cats and other companion animals.
- Better labeling of plants and household products that are toxic to cats.
- Banning of snare traps to protect cats and other animals.
- Database tracking all cats entering the UK to identify those needing rabies vaccines.
Watch the moving video above to learn more about the Cats Protection Manifesto, and check out their website for more information HERE.
Thank you Cats Protection for helping to raise our awareness on these important issues!