We’re crazy about our pets and the statistics about pet ownership in the U.S. prove it! Here are some fun and interesting facts about pet ownership:
- Around 15% of both dog and cat owners admit to buying a house (or car) with the needs of their pets in mind.
2. One third of dogs go on vacation along with their families.
3. Nearly 60% of pets are buried on their owners’ property after they pass on.
4. 52% of dog owners have a dog that weighs under 25 pounds, with 58% of people age 55+ owning dogs under 25 pounds.
5. Over half of U.S. pet owners acquire their pets for free or at low cost.
6. Vermont is the top pet owning state with around 71% of households owning a pet.
7. Over half of us buy our dogs and cats Christmas presents.
8. Around 27% of pet owners have had professional photographers take pictures of their pets.
9. Nine out of ten of us consider our pets to be members of the family.
10. Young adults in the 18-24 year old age group have the highest percentage of pet ownership of all adult age groups.