Are you hitting the road with your dog or cat this summer? Whether your vacation plans include travel by car, motor home, plane, or rail, bringing your pet along for the ride always takes a little extra planning and preparation. Here are a few basic pet travel tips to be aware of before you and your best friend make tracks!
1. Make sure your pet’s ID info and vaccinations are current and up-to-date. Carrying proof of vaccinations with you is also a good idea.
2. For dogs, bring along both a short leash and a long leash so that you are prepared for all situations and local leash regulations.
3. Check for any breed-specific legislation at your destination if you are bringing along a dog breed that is impacted by BSLs.
4. Use secure crates, carriers, and harnesses for safe pet auto travel. Pets and car air bags don’t mix, so deactivate airbags for any seats your pet will be in.
5. Bring along a pet first aid kit for road trips, especially if your pet will be spending a lot of time in the great outdoors.
6. For air travel, cats and small dogs do best when they are in the cabin tucked under the seat in front of you.
7. Clearly label the carrier with your pet’s ID information. Remove collars before placing your pet in a carrier to avoid choking.
8. Bring portable, spill-proof water bowls and bottles of fresh water with you so your pet stays hydrated.
9. Remember to keep a close eye on your pet when camping or hiking to avoid him getting lost or having a run-in with a not so domestic animal.
10. For vacations to the beach, be sure to pack a life vest and sunscreen so your pet can safely enjoy the sand and sea.