It’s getting easier to incorporate good sustainability practices into our lives as consumers. More and more of us are recycling waste, buying products in eco-friendly packaging, and bringing our own reusable bags to the grocery store. Pets can be eco-conscious too, thanks to innovative practices in the pet products industry. The organization Pet Sustainability Coalition seeks to implement environmental and social sustainability in the pet industry. Here’s a list of things you can look for when you go shopping for pet food and other products, courtesy of the PSC website:
- Pet food and treats with natural, minimally processed ingredients, made with sustainable manufacturing processes and eco-friendly packaging.
- Pet hygiene and bath products made with healthy, natural ingredients, also manufactured and packaged in sustainable ways.
- Environmentally-friendly and (of course) pet-friendly household cleaning products and pest control products.
- Pet product brands that use locally-sourced ingredients to minimize the negative impact of long-distance transportation of materials.
- Cat litter box filler that is all-natural and biodegradable in landfills.
- Pet bedding made from upcycled textiles, both the covering and the filler materials.
- Bowls, toys, litter boxes, and leashes made from post-consumer recycled materials, such as recycled inner tube rubber.
- Bird and small animal products made from recycled, fair-trade, and organic materials.