A recent heartbreaking story on the Newsweek website serves as an important reminder that hair color intended for humans should never be used on our pets.
A Maltese mix named Violet was taken in by the Pinellas County (FL) Animal Services Department. Poor Violet was dyed purple with human hair dye, suffered severe burns, and was then abandoned on the street by her owner.
Violet was brought to Animal Services with skin burns and her eyes swollen shut. Her skin began to slough off during cleaning. Staff didn’t think she would survive the first night.
Treatment for Violet included pain medications, antibiotics, IV fluids, and countless topical treatments and bandage changes for her damaged skin.
Violet needed three months to recover, and happily, she was adopted once she got healthy again.
Pinellas County Animal Services posted this important warning along with Violet’s story on their Facebook page:
“Express yourself, but please do not use hair dye intended for humans to express your pet’s style. Let’s all say that together–Do NOT, under any circumstances, use hair color intended for humans on your pets. Chemicals in hair dye are TOXIC, causing a wide array of external injury to your pet–possible burns, blindness, and because an animal’s first instinct is to lick, it can cause poisoning or internal burns. Just don’t.”