Oh no, your dog just got into some chocolate! How do you know if the amount eaten is a danger to your pet which requires an emergency visit to the veterinarian’s office?
The PetMD website has created a chocolate toxicity meter for dogs. You can quickly enter your dog’s weight, the type of chocolate, and the amount eaten to find out if your dog needs to get to the vet ASAP.
Sometimes a very small amount of chocolate eaten by a large dog requires nothing more than observing your dog for symptoms such as vomiting and restlessness. However, a small dog that eats several ounces of chocolate might be in more danger and require immediate veterinary attention.
Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which are toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate poses a higher risk than milk chocolate.
Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate, rapid breathing, seizures, and even cardiac failure and coma in severe cases.
In addition to the toxicity meter, check out PetMD for a handy guide on the theobromine and caffeine content of popular chocolate products, such as M&Ms and Peanut Butter Cups.
On the same page, you can also see a list of the types of chocolate that have the highest amount of theobromine (unsweetened cocoa and baking chocolate top the list).