Mushroom Safety for Dogs

In many parts of the world, fall is the time of year when mushrooms make their appearance in woods and other natural areas.  Is your dog at risk of poisoning if she eats a wild mushroom while out on a walk?

According to the North American Mycological Association, only 1% of mushrooms are considered to be “highly toxic” to pets.

There are some mushrooms that are attractive to dogs, probably because of their odor.  There are also mushrooms that are toxic to dogs while being harmless to humans.

Some mushrooms contain compounds that are dangerous, and sometimes deadly, if consumed by dogs.

NAMA recommends that dog owners take special care with these mushrooms when out on walks:

Amanita phalloides

Amanita muscaria

Amanita pantherina

Dogs can go into a deep, coma-like sleep after consuming certain mushroom toxins.  Other mushroom toxins can cause gastrointestinal distress.  The effects can last for hours.

If you are concerned that your dog ate a poisonous mushroom, seek veterinary care right away.  You can also call the Animal Poison Control Hotline or one of the NAMA experts in your area.

Click HERE for more information on mushroom poisoning in pets.

 

12 thoughts on “Mushroom Safety for Dogs

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.