Are you keeping your pets safe this holiday season? Lots of tempting food and decorations around the house could lead to an unexpected holiday visit to the vet!
Here are a few common-sense holiday pet safety tips from the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Certain people foods are toxic or unhealthy for our dogs and cats. Make sure these popular holiday food items are out of reach:
- Chocolate, sweets, and baked goods (the artificial sweetener xylitol is toxic to dogs)
- Turkey skin and bones
- Onions, raisins, nuts, and grapes
- Raw yeast dough
Some holiday decorations can pose health hazards to pets, including:
- Unsecured Christmas trees (and Christmas tree water that contains additives)
- Tinsel, lights, and ornaments
- Flowers and plants (including amaryllis, mistletoe, holly, and poinsettias)
- Potpourri and lit candles
Here’s a cute infographic on holiday pet dangers from the AVMA that you can keep as a reminder!