- 59.5% of cats and 55.8% of dogs are classified as either overweight or obese. This translates to 56 million cats and 50 million dogs.
- 25.7% of cats and 36.9% of dogs were rated as overweight.
- 33.8% of cats and 18.9% of dogs were rated as obese.
- 68% of pet owners report that they have tried to help their pets lose weight.
- Calorie reduction/smaller portions and increased exercise were reported to be the most effective pet weight loss methods.
- 53% of pet owners reported that their veterinarians discussed their pets’ weight with them, however 40% said that their vets did not provide them with dietary advice.
Could your dog or cat lose a few of those extra pounds? APOP has created some helpful pet weight loss tools for owners. You can find information on ideal weight ranges, pet caloric needs, and weight reduction advice for both dogs and cats.