Summer is a great time to enjoy the outdoors with your pets, but it’s never a good time for your dog or cat to get stung by a bee or other stinging insect.

Veterinary emergency and critical care doctor Christine Rutter from Texas A&M University provides some helpful advice for pet owners on preventing and treating stings.

She notes that not all insects leave the stinger behind, so it can be hard to tell for sure if your pet was stung.  Sometimes a pet will suddenly cry out or show signs of pain and swelling on the face, paws, or other parts of the body.

Talk to your vet before administering any oral or topical medications made for humans.

How can you distinguish normal discomfort from an allergic reaction?  Look for these danger signs and take your pet to the veterinarian right away:

  • Facial swelling
  • Severe itching
  • Hives
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea
  • Collapse

Monitoring your pet while outdoors is the best way to prevent insect stings.  Keep an eye out for insects around flowers.  Check for any hives, nests, or burrows in your yard or any outdoor area you bring your pet.  Disturbing a nest can lead to multiple stings, which can be dangerous.

Pets with severe allergies can receive therapies that help desensitize them to insect venom.  Dr. Rutter notes that it possible, but not common, for pets to have repeat episodes when a sting causes a severe allergic reaction.

Check out our blog post on more summertime pet safety tips HERE!


5 thoughts on “Summer Pet Safety: Preventing and Treating Insect Stings

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.