Here in San Diego we have quite a few dog-friendly beaches for people and their pups to enjoy. Are you planning on bringing your dog to the beach for some fun in the sun this summer? The San Diego Humane Society has put together a list of some helpful dog beach etiquette tips for you and your best friend!
- Many dogs go off-leash at the beach, but keep your dog leashed if you have any concerns about her behavior towards strangers and other dogs. You should also keep your dog leashed if she doesn’t come when called!
- Bring plenty of fresh water for your dog to drink and an umbrella to provide your dog with shade on hot, sunny days.
- Not every dog is a good swimmer, especially certain short-muzzled and short-legged breeds like Bulldogs and Dachshunds. Start your dog out leashed in shallow water to see how he does. Make sure to pull him from the water if he gets tired.
- Having up to date identification like tags and microchips is especially important when your dog goes off-leash at the beach.
- Flea and tick prevention should also be up to date before you head to the beach.
- Rinse the sand and salt water off of your dog when you’re done, and dry her off with a walk before getting back in the car.